Although we try to shed light on the issue of child abuse throughout the year… April marks a month dedicated to raising awareness. Did you know child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level? Across ethnic and cultural lines? Within all religions? At all levels of education? Across the United States, reported child abuse occurs every 10 seconds. It’s the number one reason children end up in the foster care system. More than 1,000 children right here in the Greater Houston area experienced abuse, neglect and/or abandonment by their biological parents. They are waiting to be adopted. Can you imagine not having anyone to call your family?
2019 Texas Statistics (DFPS Data Book 2018):
The sheer volume of child abuse and neglect in Texas cannot be overstated.
- Children in Foster Care: 50,846
- Those Eligible for Adoption: 7,277
- Children Adopted: 5,678
- Those Who Aged Out of the System: 1,211
You can change this devastating reality for children in foster care.
You can provide hope, and ensure they never experience abuse again.
How You Can Help
- Firstly, Make A Donation Below: We hope you will consider making a generous gift to help transform the lives of children in need of safe and nurturing permanent families. With your help, we can ensure more children are placed in their forever family, finally feeling the love and security they deserve.
- Secondly, Join Us April 3rd for Texas Go Blue Day: Wear blue to raise awareness of the child abuse that exists in Texas and nationally.
- Lastly, Share: Be an advocate for Child Abuse Prevention Month by sharing this page with your family and friends and on social media.
Meanwhile, Check Out These Additional Resources
- 5 Ways To Protect Your Child From Abuse
- Child Abuse Prevention Edition – Suggested Reading List
- Guest Blog: A Take On Child Abuse Prevention Month
- Guest Blog: Spotting Signs of Sexual Abuse in Foster Children
Thank you for your support – we know our work to break the cycle of abuse and neglect for children in foster care would not be possible without people like you!